AFTERNOON WIND ALLOWS FOR SPECTACULAR KITE RACING AT THE PEARL QATAR!
Spectators were able to enjoy a spectacular scene on the Qanat Quartier beach, The Pearl Qatar, yesterday afternoon. From 3pm, kites began to fly, transforming the sky into a rainbow of colours. With music flowing, beach games in action, and the addition of Kiteboard races, the scene was a splendid platform for sport activity.
Both men fleet racing and women fleet racing have completed the required 3 races each to qualify the event as an international championship, the first to be held in the Gulf region. Final races will continue tomorrow to close the championship.
Steph Bridge (GBR, North) maintained her lead of the women’s fleet , followed closely by Elena Kalinina (RUS, UC/Elf) and Jade O’conner (IRL, TMV/ Ozone). For the Men’s, Oliver Bridge (GBR, North) took first place, with Florian Gruber (GER , Ozone / TMV) coming a close second and Florian Truttel (SPA, Moviestar / IFINS) took third place.
Racing continues tomorrow with the Medal Series for the top 10 men and top 10 women, if conditions allow, before the 2014 champions will be crowned at the evening ceremony in the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
1) Oliver Bridge (GBR, North) 4 Points
2) Florian Gruber (GER, Ozone / TMV) 8 Points
3) Florian Trittel (SPA, ML/ Elf) 10 Points
4) Riccardo Leccese (ITA, ML/Ozone) 12 Points
5) Mario Calbucci (ITA, TMV/Elf) 17 Points
1) Stephanie Bridge (GBR, North) 5 Points
2) Elena Kalinina (RUS, Elf / TMV) 8 Points
3) Anastasia Akopova (RUS, ML/Ozone) 16 Points
4) Jade O’Connor (IRL, UC/Ozone) 18 Points
5) Astrid Berz (SUI, ML/Ozone) 18 Points
Full results can be seen at http://internationalkiteboarding.org/images/documents/results/2014AsiansResults.pdf
The Video Highlights of Day 4 can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154720442300478&set=vb.829800477&type=2&theater