The first qualifying races of the European Championship in Kiteboarding in Mielno/Poland were run today. Florian Trittel (ESP, TMV/Ozone) is leading in the men's fleet with a 4-3-1-1 score ahead of Riccardo Leccese (ITA, ML/Ozone) and Oliver Bridge (GBR, North). 17 year old Elena Kalinina (RUS, UC/Elf) won all but one of her races today and is first in the women's ranking with local rider Aga Grzymska (POL, ML/Ozone) in second and Tatiana Sysoeva (RUS, ML/Ozone) in third.
The competitors saw challenging conditions with light winds around 8 knots in the early races, but quickly increasing to 18 knots in the afternoon. 4 races were completed for each fleet.
The Mens fleet will continue their qualifying series tomorrow before the fleet is split into gold and silver flights for the final series on Friday and Saturday, while the womens fleet will continue their single opening series before Sunday's Medal series which will feature the top 10 riders in each division.
The official closing and award's ceremony is planned for Sunday (07.09) at 5 pm. It will take place at the beach in front of the Dune apartment building. A beach party is held every evening at Mielno Beach.
Kite Mielno sports club is the organiser of the European Championship and their main partner from Mielno is Firmus Group developer.
Overall Standings after 4 races:
1. Florian Trittel (ESP, TMV/Ozone) - 9 pts
2. Riccardo Leccese (ITA, ML/Ozone) - 9 pts
3. Oliver Bridge (GBR, North) - 11 pts
4. Alexander Bachev (BUL, UC/Ozone) - 12 pts
5. Maks Zakowski (POL, TMV/Ozone) - 13 pts
1. Elena Kalinia (RUS, UC/Elf) - 5 pts
2. Aga Grzymska (POL, ML/Ozone) - 10 pts
3. Tatiana Sysoeva (RUS, ML/Ozone) - 14 pts
4. Ansastasia Akopova (RUS, ML/Ozone) - 15 pts
5. Jade O'Connor (IRL, TMV/Ozone) - 17 pts
Picture credits: "Bogo/Sieplywa.pl"