Kevin Langeree has been one of the top kiters for over a decade. When it comes to kiting he can pretty much do it all: powered doubles, massive board-offs, rip in surf and on an SUP. After winning a world title in 2009 Kevin had a serious knee injury but made a full recovery and finished 4th in 2012. He keeps pushing the sport, started the one handed handle passes and who knows what he will bring to kiting over the next decade. He is a great ambassador for the sport and PKRA world champion.
Name: Kevin Langeree
Sponsors: NAISH, O’Neill, G-shock and Sinner eyewear
Where you live: Holland
Here is a great clip of Kevin in Panama!
1. Where did you train over the winter and why?
Cape Town! I’ve been coming here to train the last 8 years and I just love this place. The conditions are good, the food is nice and the people are super friendly. And not to forget we get some pretty good waves coming in!
2. What was your focus in training, specific moves, style, recovering from injury?
I always try to improve my riding. When I go out for a training session I just try to have the most fun cause that when I learn a lot. I like to do more disciplines in the sport then only freestyle. For me it’s really important to find a balance between freestyle, wave and big air. If I do a bit of everything I stay really motivated on all 3 of them.
3. Did you do any cross training, conditioning, surf, snowboard, etc…how does it help your kiting.
When I’m down here in SA the conditions are always so good for kiting, SUPing or surfing that I don’t really get a chance to go to the gym much. Well if you think about it the ocean is one big gym, right?! I hace also started yoga lately and that has been working nicely, feeling nice and flexible now!
4. What PKRA destinations are you looking forward to in 2013 and why?
Germany is always a good event cause it attracts lots of people. But riding wise New Cal must be the best spot we have on tour. The water is nice and flat so perfect for freestyle.
5. What are your sponsors, any changes on the off season and why? What kites are you riding? How they help your riding, what board, straps or bindings, why?
I’ve been with NAISH and O’Neill for more then 12 years and those 12 years have been great. G-Shock and Sinner eyewear are quite new and they have been a great support already. With Naish I help out with the development of the kites and boards a lot. This way the boards and kite suite my riding perfectly. We worked on some new board this winter and they came out sick. A little wider, bigger and with a bit more rocker that makes it lots easier to land.
6. Which rider do you think will make an entry into the top 10(if you why).
I’m sure Youri is going to kill it again this year. I’ve seen him riding and he still looks in form. I’m sure Alex is pretty hungry for a world title as well. But I hope to give a couple guys a bit of a run for their money. Alberto will be up there again I’m sure together with Marc, Tack, Stephan and Reno.
7. What moves/style/execution/power will be the biggest factor for you in 2013 in winning your heats?
You got to go big with a lot of power and clean landings. I hope we are not going to see that the tricks are going to be lower and lower. That would be really bad for the sport…. A couple powered doubles will do good as well to win a heat.
8. Why do you come on the PKRA?
Because I love competing! Riding up against the best riders in the world keeps me really focused and motivated.
9. Are you thinking of doing any crossover into Slalom, to do both disciplines at the events?
I’ll do a couple Slalom heats as well. It’s fun starting with 6 or 8 guys at ones and do a down wind race. It’s a lot more exciting for the public and for the riders as well.
10. What are your personal goals for 2013 in kiting, life and business? How does the PKRA fit in?
I want to have as much fun in the sport as possible and travel the world to show people in all parts of the world how great our sport is.
11. What is the kite magazine of your Native country and favorite website for kiting news?
In Holland we have two kite mag’s Access and kitesurf magazine. I usually check hanglos.nl twice a week for kite news.
Read original article: PKRA News:Kevin Langeree Interview